Monday, May 11, 2009

My First Mother's Day

So...I woke up on my first Mother's Day feeling excited that the holiday now applies to me.  Cole, Elle, Coach and I went up to Pasadena for the Mother's Day weekend.  My mom, dad, and Cole all had to be at church early for music rehearsal, so that left me, Coach and Elle at the house to get ready.

As soon as my mom and Cole left for church the stress set in...

The dog needed to go outside.

The baby was still sleeping but could wake up at any minute.

I needed to shower and get ready.

I needed to feed the baby (and pump)

I had to be ready by 10am...Cole and Mom left at 8am.

All of the above seem rather reasonable to accomplish in a two hour window...Yeah well, not exactly for a new mom.  Here's how it all unfolded:

As soon as Cole and Mom left I thought, "I'll eat first.  I'm definitely going to need some sustenance to get all this done!"  I was able to do this before Elle woke up.  Phewf.

I went into the bedroom to check on Elle and she was still sleeping..."Okay, maybe I can take my shower," I thought.  Although this may be pushing my luck.  Shower gets taken.  Phewf.

As I start to do my make up Elle decides she has had enough sleep and wakes up.  Make-up is half done.  

Feeding time.

After I feed Elle, Coach is crossing her legs because it is time to go outside.  

I put Elle in the stroller, harness up the dog, and head outside.  

I didn't realize this before, but, Mom and Dad's condo building is NOT stroller accessible.  Yes, I carried the stroller with the baby in it, while holding on to the leash, down the stairs.  

We make it to the gate that surrounds the condos when I realize that I DON'T have a key to the gate.  What's a new mother to do...I know, use the stroller to prop the gate open.  Yes the baby was in it, but no I didn't let it out of my sight.  Coach just had a very limited grassy area to get her business done.

Carried the stroller back up the stairs, got back into the house and now it's time to finish my make up and do my hair.  I decided to leave Elle in the stroller as she is starting to nod off.

As I begin to blow dry my hair, Elle is OUT!  The blow dryer has lulled her to sleep!  

Now...My make up is done, baby has been fed, dog has been out, hair is done....and the baby is out, but I still need to pump.  So, I leave the the blow dryer ON and in the sink in the bathroom.  I didn't want to change the noise, or the fact that Elle was asleep. 

I get all hooked up, and Elle realizes that I am no longer really blow drying my hair and begins to squirm and get a bit fussy. 

Unhook.
Move stroller.
Re-hook.
Move stroller back and forth.
Baby falls asleep.
Phewf!!

An that is the start to my first Mother's Day!!


This is how Elle likes to roll at G and Gma's house!


1 comment:

  1. i love this story!!!! sounds crazy but nicely done petersen!!

    ReplyDelete