Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wha' Happen'???


Okay, so last night my perfect daughter decided that it would be fun to throw a wrench in her perfection!

At 7pm, right on time, I put Elle to bed. Not a peep out of her. She went right to sleep not a single tear, no talking to herself, not so much as a whimper. I was thinking to myself..."yep, this is the life!"

10:30 rolls around. I'm in bed just about to doze off and I hear her. Crying. I decide to let her be for just a bit, to see if she'll soothe herself back to sleep. Yeah...not so much.

As the good mother, I assess before entering her room.

I think:

Could she be hungry? Probably not since she got her 4 feedings of milk and three square meals, not to mention she never wakes up to eat, hasn't since she was 3 months old.

Could she need a diaper change? Possible, but really, dirty diapers don't phase this girl. She can sit in it for a while before she complains. (not that I let her sit in it of course)

Could she be in pain? Possible. She was sounding a bit "snorty" kinda like a pig when she was eating before bed, and we did feed her a new food at dinner...millet.

I was now at a loss. But I went in...

Changed the diaper and fed her just a bit. Put her straight back in her crib, so she would know that this is not what we do, this is not a fun time, you are to be sleeping.

She goes back to sleep nicely.

12:30 am....Crying again.

Assess...

This time I did the unthinkable....I brought her in bed with me (after a dose of tylenol for the millet problem, or the teeth?? Who knows, but I've heard tylenol works). I let her lay next to be in the bed and all she wanted to do was look around. Then she got fussy. So, I picked her up and laid her on my chest, just like I did when she first got home from the hospital.

She slept on my chest for probably 2 hours or so. It was so sweet! There is nothing so sweet as being able to calm an unhappy baby by holding her close! I love her so much!

2am: My snuggle time is over mainly due to the fact that it is difficult for me to breath with 16 pounds laying on my chest. I decide that Elle needs to go back to her crib. I put her down and she is fine. Phew!

I hear her again around 4 am and 6 am, but each time she is able to soothe herself back to sleep.

In the morning when she finally woke up at 7:45, I searched her mouth for teeth, red gums or little creatures telling her to cry in the middle of the night. None of the above were found. Let's hope this night-time charade doesn't happen again. A mama needs her sleep...but she does like a snuggle with her baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment